We are really getting our hands dirty with the restoration of this 1966 Ford Mustang. This classic has been in the family from the day it rolled off the lot. Even though this old Mustang looks in tact, it will be receiving some substantial metal work. We are going to keep the original Tahoe Turquoise paint with the black bucket seats and carpet.
The Mustang will receive new Dynacorn quarter panels, fenders, hood, inner fender aprons, front frame rails, grill, and trim.
This old six cylinder is still running strong, so we will re-seal, clean, and detail the entire engine compartment. This classic Mustang is going to be completely re-wired to ensure a safe and reliable electrical system.
The stock AM radio will be converted to an AM/FM with MP3 and amp outputs and new speakers for a modern sound system.
We are making progress on this Classic Mustang and we will be posting some updates soon. Be sure to like us on Facebook and Twitter and check back to see the progress.
We’ll the old Mustang is comming apart. The drive train has been removed and we we are going to reseal and repaint the engine. The engine was still running pretty well, but was leaking from about all of the seals and gaskets. You can watch the engine come out with ease in a stop motion video posted on our YouTube channel.
The engine has been removed and we can clearly see the reasons why the frame rails will need to be replaced. These frame rails are not only rusting on the outside they are rusting from the inside out. An older attempt at a repair is now clearly visible when the engine is out of the way.
Although this old Mustang looked pretty nice to walk up on, The fenders showed some signs of old repairs and rust. The new Dynacorn sheet metal will be used for a more economical repair. This old Ford has a couple good examples of low quality repairs. Although the upper portions of the fenders have a fresher coat of paint, the bottom sides have never been touched.
Keep checking the blog to watch the progress on this classic Mustang. I will take you through each step as we replace these frame rails, floor pans and quarter panels.
We have completed a lot of work since the last update. The body has undergone some serious changes. The shell was completely striped and sand blasted, then etch primed and sealed. From here we are starting to remove the quarter panels. The quarters had been previously patched and we can offer a better repair by replacing the entire quarter.
After stripping a vehicle to this point there are always hidden areas that are hard to see untill it is completely stripped. Although we knew of most of it going in a few areas popped up on us.
Were starting off with replacing the quarters, wheel houses, and truck drops. We’ll remove these old panels first, and fit the new sheetmeal all at once. This allows us to see how well our aftermarket parts are fitting. This is the perfect time to modify and and shape the metal rather than after everything is done.